Monday, 30 December 2013

Kampung Chetti Begs to be Saved

[Kampung Chetti residents want heritage and culture departments at state and federal levels to stop current development project.]
PETALING JAYA: State and federal government agencies have been called on to save heritage site, Kampung Chetti in Malacca and stop a development project that threatens to destroy the heritage of the community.
T Sithambaram Pillay, who heads the action committee opposing the development project said in a press statement.
“We want the Tourism and Culture Ministry, Melaka Museum Corporation (Perzim) and the National Heritage Department to intervene and stop this project which is located at the site known as Lot 93,” he said.
Malacca Chief Minister Idris Haron has also been asked to make his stand clear in relation to the heritage village of the Malacca Chettis.
“We are begging the Malacca government to end the project. We also want Idris to make his stand to save our village,” said T Sithambaram Pillay in a press statement.
On 17 Dec 2013, there were reports that the state government had approved construction of two condominiums with 22 floors each, a 12 floor hotel and a six floor parking lot at the heritage site. [READ THE REPORT HERE]
The project was stopped by the former Malacca Chief Minister Ali Rustam last year (2012) but has been revived and given the green light by the current state administration after the 13th general election in May 2013.
Since the news broke – HERE – various groups such as Hindraf and Deputy Minister in Prime Minister’s Department P Waythamoorthy have voiced their objections over the development project.
Waythamoorthy has questioned the silence of Heritage Commissioners on the matter.
Kampung Chetti in Malacca has existed since 1414. Both the state and federal government have given the village national heritage status. In addition, the village is also Unesco World Heritage site.
(K Pragalath, Free Malaysia Today, 30 December 2013. Kavyan says: Malaysia May Lose World Heritage Status)